|Sushil Kumar, the winner of 1 million dollars|
NEW DELHI (AP) — The question that made a poor clerk from eastern India the first person to win $1 million on an Indian game show has been revealed.
It is: "Which colonial power ended its involvement in India by selling the rights to the Nicobar Islands to the British on Oct. 16, 1868?"
The answer: Denmark.
Last week, it was announced that Sushil Kumar had won the top prize on the Indian version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire." But producers declined to reveal the question until the show aired yesterday.
His wife closed her eyes and prayed as Kumar grappled with the question.
When he won, the audience whooped and gave him a standing ovation. He and his wife wept.
His win echoes the 2008 Oscar - winning film "Slumdog Millionaire."
Vocabulary Review: Read the vocabulary words and the definitions. Make your own sentence using the vocabulary word/s afterwards.
1. reveal (v.) - t
Example: She revealed her talent for cooking.
2. colonial (adj.) -
Example: On 8th April 1945, the French army entered the town.
3. decline (v.) - t
4. air (v.) - t
5. grapple (v.) - struggle; exert effort with difficulty
6. whoop (v.) -
7. standing ovation (n.) - clapping
Example: He was pleasantly surprised by the standing ovation he received.
8. echo (v.) -
Comprehension check: Answer the questions based on the article.
1. Who was the first person who won a million dollars in the game show "Who wants to be a millionaire?"
2. What was the winning question?
3. What happened after he won?
1. What would you do if you win a million dollars? How are you going to spend it?
2. What would life be like without money?